Virtual Guitarist CARBON is a software instrument doubling as both
- a heavy “djent” guitarist playing a custom-built, 8-string, low-range / drop-tune guitar through a large custom setup of specialized, futuristic amps and cabinet models,
- and a creative electronic sound designer/engineer who knows how to creatively chop, tweak, modulate or destroy the raw guitar sound in order to create hundreds of guitar- or non-guitar-like sounds, rhythms and textures.
Carbon was designed to create a wide range of popular guitar sounds. Yes, it can play traditional metal riffs, but where it really shines is creating new, modern guitar sounds that are “sound-designed” and “unreal” in a good way.
You’ve been hearing them emerging in all kinds of music genres – from the super-quantized accents in electronic music to drone-war-accompanying big riffs in game and action soundtracks to subtly detailed accents in film and commercial music.
To create these sounds in real life, it takes a lot of work, more gear and even more knowledge of gear and its interactions.
To create brutal distortion is easy – just stack amps or distortion pedals until your ears bleed. Chances are though that the sound will get broken, raspy and degraded.
To create a distortion that is hard like a razor blade and still has integrity – particularly in the high end – is a craft of its own and took a good chunk of the work we put into CARBON.
With CARBON, you have a solution at your fingertips that took a long time to build, tweak and repeat. And since at the heart of CARBON there is a real guitar, the tracks you will create will always be an organic, not synthesized, element, with the irregularities of the original instrument baked in.
What’s best: If you’ve ever used one of our Virtual Guitarists, there is little learning curve – you’ll feel right at home.
There are a few novelties though that set CARBON apart from its siblings:
- It goes looow – almost an octave lower than a regular guitar, to F#, and it sounds fatter and darker because the original guitar was tuned low as well so the string tension was lower. It plays a plethora of distorted guitar styles from bass riffs to power chords to melodic riffs and even simple melodies.
- It lets you play the guitar yourself, note by note, because it features the Instrument Mode that we introduced with our Virtual Bassist series. You can trigger and select various articulations from dead notes to mutes to long sustains with your left hand and play the matching notes with your right. We even included shreds that are almost unplayable on a MIDI controller. With a little practice, you will create riffs that you wouldn’t have thought you’d be able to play, and that no other instrument (except a guitar, if you’re really good) would let you.
- CARBON is not just a guitar hooked up to an amp. It’s also a powerful sound design tool allowing you to shape the guitar sound with EQs, dynamics and ambiences, or even turn it into something that sounds synthesized. The section for doing these things is purposefully called the “Finisher”. Technically it is a super-powerful guitar effect rack stuffed with all sorts of goodies – delays, reverbs, modulation effects, EQs, compressors, multiband this-and-that, distortion and more.
You unleash its power by selecting a Finisher preset and turning either the Finisher knob or the Mod Wheel of your MIDI controller. Yes, it is that simple and powerful.