Virtual Bassist ROYAL 2 is a software instrument doubling as a professional session bass player or bass instrument, a “Fingered Electric Bass”. It is based on a classic hand-picked top-notch electric bass, and we’ve hooked it up to hand-selected vintage amps and cabinets. The bassist performs exactly as you wish, while giving you full control over musical performance and mix.
If you’ve ever used one of our Virtual Guitarists, there is almost no learning curve – you’ll feel right at home.
There are two novelties though:
- We have significantly upgraded the musical intelligence because unlike the Virtual Guitarists, the Bassists play melodic figures and passages, and these are often not only dependent on the current chord, but also on the underlying key. Therefore, the Key parameter works differently here.
- There is a new Instrument Mode that sends the player home and lets you play the bass guitar yourself, note by note. We put a lot of effort into making this mode feel not like you’re playing a sample library, but a living and breathing instrument. Ideally, you should feel like your MIDI keyboard is hooked up to a mechanism controlling a real electric bass. It intelligently chooses the playing technique, slides, hammer-ons and other typical things.
You can forget about all that – it’s done for you the way a real bass would work – and concentrate on your music.
Virtual Bassist vs. A Real Bass Player
If we denied the huge differences between a software and a real musician, you shouldn’t trust us.
If you have all the money, time and patience in the world plus a recording studio and a professional bass player available, by all means go for it!
But for most people, most of the time, that’s not the case:
- Maybe you have no access to a (professional) session player.
- Maybe you are traveling and need to work on a song only with a laptop and maybe a mini keyboard.
- Maybe you like to work out ideas totally by yourself, taking the time, playing with ideas.
- Maybe you’re a bass player but you want to quickly lay down a track without the hassle of tuning your bass and setting up a recording session.
- Maybe you want to use MIDI-controlled bass tracks as source material for electronic manipulation.
In these and many other scenarios, Virtual Bassist ROYAL is a great alternative to the real thing.
How Does Virtual Bassist Make You Sound Real?
You may wonder whether and how Virtual Bassist creates bass tracks that even a bass player can’t distinguish from the real thing, while you have no idea of how a bass guitar or the musical techniques behind good basslines work – from playing figures and riffs to shifting, positions and fingering techniques typical for a real bass, plus all those characteristic noises – slides, stops, dead notes, hammer-ons, pull-offs.
The answer is: In every Virtual Bassist there are mechanisms that we didn’t give fancy names like “AI Real Bass Engine” or “AI Musical Bass Intelligence” because that’s exactly what the name Virtual Bassist already stands for. These mechanisms automatically translate simple note or chord input into the correct response on a real bass and “play the bass” accordingly.
In Player Mode, these mechanisms consider your song’s key and chord input to always stay in scale, knows when to go from one string to another, when to slide between two notes or when to play a stop noise.
This is why when you play Virtual Bassist on a MIDI Keyboard in Instrument Mode, it doesn’t feel like you’re triggering samples, but like your keyboard were hooked up to a fancy mechanism pulling the strings and pressing the frets of a real bass. And in Player Mode, chances are it teaches you a lick or two.
What is Virtual Bassist ROYAL about?
Within the series, Virtual Bassist ROYAL is the premium session professional. In real life, this would be your go-to A-List session musician for almost any session from pop to rock to songwriter or indie music. Where ROWDY shines with its rough edge and lots of overdrive, where MELLOW exudes retro-noisy, super-organic acoustic character, ROYAL sits above all and works almost everywhere.
Like any virtual musician by UJAM, Virtual Bassist ROYAL lets you produce professional tracks in no time, with minimal effort. It combines the virtues of a musically highly trained professional bass player with a custom premium-quality electric bass, perfectly tuned, with fresh strings, selected vintage amp/cabinet combinations, and the most important sound shaping tools as used in recording studios, to design the bass performance and sound exactly as you need it.