As we get quite a few requests regarding this question, we'd like to clarify a few things first:
- All of our plug-ins automatically adapt to the tempo set in the DAW. No matter which BPM (beats per minute) you select, your ujam plug-in is always in time. As the tempo is always right you can start jamming immediately.
- Most UJAM plugins come with a new DAW sync feature so that when you want to play live, the play head of the midi notes is synced to the grid/ click of the DAW now.
- You can find this feature under the ''micro timing menu'' and you can select the player sync to be on Note On, on 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, or on the song position.
(click here for details on "PlayerSync" Modes)
- You can quantize the STRIIIINGS player to the grid of your DAW. In the default position (“Note”), it will play exactly when you play or send MIDI notes. In “Beat” position, it will wait for the next beat (quarter note).
- The Virtual Guitarists (V1) are not automatically synced to the click / the metronome.
- We have this request on our list but didn't implement this functionality yet for all instruments for various reasons.
Here's a general hint: The best way to control your Virtual Instruments is using proper MIDI data! Use "quantize" and "force legato" feature of your DAW is to further optimize your MIDI notes.
Syncing your Virtual Guitarist
If you want to sync your Virtual Guitarist to your click track, use the respective MIDI note on a straight beat (the first beat is recommended) to trigger the desired groove/pattern of your Virtual Instrument (see above image). Patterns are not designed to start on an odd beat of a measure.
This is usable with any other UJAM plug-ins, too.
The DropDown "PlayerSync" selects a mode of syncing your instrument to your DAW.
You can use this video as a reference to compare the different modes and their behaviour.
The following modes are available (not all of them in all plugins!):
- Note On
The Plugin starts playing the phrase (from its beginning) at the beginning of the played / inserted MIDI Note, no matter if on time or not.
The Plugin starts playing the phrase (from its beginning), but synced to the next on-time 1/16th note, counting from the moment of the input MIDI Note.
The same as "1/16" but this time the phrase is synced to the next on-time 1/8th note, counting from the moment of the input note.
The same as "1/16" but this time the phrase is synced to the next on-time 1/4th note, counting from the moment of the input note.
- Song Position
This mode is special as all other ones start the selected phrase from its beginning.
"Song Position" instead works more like an "un-mute button" as in this mode the phrase is basically always playing in the background (inaudibly) and only gets "unmuted" when there is MIDI (manual input or an inserted MIDI note).
This means, that the phrase is always synced to the current DAW measure (if the DAW is on the count of "1", the phrase will be there, too).
This is, of course, metaphorical and not necessarily the technically correct workings!
Further Example Videos
In this video, we show you how to sync Virtual Drummer ''HEAVY 2'' to FL Studio 20. Don't worry, this will work in the same way for all ujam plug-ins and all DAW's.
In this video, we show you how to sync ''SILK'' to Ableton Live.
If you have any more questions or need further assistance, please submit a request to our support staff.