To help you get started with Virtual Guitarist SILK 2, here are the answers to some frequently asked questions:
How can I try VG-SILK 2?
- You can download your free 7 day trial version here: ↪https://www.ujam.com/more/trials/
- Note that the trial time has been reduced to 7 days, which should still be plenty of time to evaluate the plug-in.
Do you have a special offer for me?
- If you already own SILK 1, you can take advantage of the upgrade deal and purchase SILK 2 for just 19 bucks!
- ↪You can find the offer here
- You can always head over to our store and check the latest offers and bundle options!
Where to find the user guide?
SILK 2 has timing issues. What can I do?
VG SILK 2 should always be in sync with your DAW. If not, we suggest to check your plugin micro timing settings and the MIDI file you're using.
- Your MIDI file may need to be quantized. It should start on the first beat of a bar.
- Experiment with the different Player Sync options
- Try to set the 'Humanize' control to ‘Tight‘
Will VG-SILK 2 work on my computer?
Hope so! Please have a look at the following article: ↪System Requirements Overview
What about the original SILK V1?
- SILK 2 and SILK 1 can co-exist in the DAW.
- SILK 1 will however not be available for sale anymore, as it has been discontinued.
- If you bought the plug-in in the past, you can still use it and download it from your UJAM account.
- So to summarize, SILK 2 replaces SILK 1 in our shop, but not on your computer. That is also the reason why "SILK 2" appears just as "SILK" in your UJAM account, just because SILK 1 can't be purchased anymore and it will soon be forgotten.
- Here's how the new SILK 1 and SILK 2 should look like in your account:
- We know this might be a bit confusing but now you got it!
Where to find a video of VG SILK 2?
Here you go:
Is there an option to Drag and Drop MIDI?
Sure! VG SILK 2 features MIDI drag and drop, giving you way more possibilities for quick arranging and to fine adjust and alter phrases.
If you drag and drop a MIDI file into your DAW, because of the plugin’s internal MIDI handling, you might have to manually adjust its length, this is especially true for Intros, Fills, and Endings.
Where can I find the styles from SILK 1 in SILK 2?
- All the Style phrases of SILK 2 have been designed from scratch. They are completely new and unique.
- The styles of version 1 have not been integrated yet.
- There may be a few similar styles but all in all the V2 styles are different compared to V1.
- We might add the V1 styles in a future update of VG SILK 2.
- You can however create your own styles or tweak the integrated styles by using the MIDI drag and drop feature and the Instrument Mode of the plugin.
I bought SILK 2 at a reseller. How can I redeem my code?
- The following article will help you: Partner Shop Purchase
Please make sure you copy & paste the complete code when redeeming.
I can't authorize my new plug-in!
- In case you are struggling with authorizing your plug-in, please have a look at the following article: ►Authorization Issues
I received a serial number/ coupon code but I can not redeem it. Is the license usage limit reached or the coupon expired?
- Please double check the code you entered.
- Log in to your UJAM account and check whether SILK 2 is already linked to your account. If so, you're good to go and you will be able to activate the plug-in with your UJAM credentials.
I open SILK 2 and my DAW crashes – what can I do?
- Please check whether you have the newest version of VG SILK 2 installed. The plug-in will notify you if an update is available.
- Please send a crash report to our support team!
- Manually remove all plug-in files and try a clean installation. Have a look at the following articles:
►Uninstalling on Mac
►Uninstalling on Windows
I downloaded the plug-in but my trial time has already expired – I have 0 days left.
Unfortunately, this can happen due to technical circumstances – please make sure the internet connection of the plug-in is not blocked by perhaps a firewall or antivirus software. If your trial expired and you wish to renew it, submit a request to our support staff and attach your .ops file – have a look at the following article: Instant expired trial time
I installed SILK 2 but I can't find it in my DAW.
- Please try a DAW plug-in rescan. For further information, click here.
How to play individual notes
You can't play SILK2 exactly like e.g. Virtual Bassist in solo mode, but you can play / pick the chord notes separately in Instrument Mode. Have a look at the key switches, especially at C2 as it will always play the root note of the chord which kinda allows you single note playing.
|Strum – Auto
|A# | Bb
|Strum – Open
|G# | Ab
|Strum – Half Mute
|F# | Gb
|Strum – Mute
|D# | Eb
|Strum – Dead
|C# | Db
This is how you use it:
- In Instrument Mode, activate Latch. This makes it easier to test features, as the instrument will remember the selected chord.
- Play a chord in the Play Range (Fretboard)
- While holding notes, hit the keys in the Articulation Range to trigger the respective events.
Also check out the "Note Mode" in Player Mode:
In Player Mode there’s a new feature called Note mode. This mode allows you to select individual notes so you can build your own chords.
Let the Phrases play the rhythm while you play a single note, an interval or even full guitar chords with both hands. Keep in mind that on a real guitar each string can only play one note at a time. So if your input is not physically playable on a guitar, the plug–in may decide to omit certain notes so it sounds more realistic!
Digital Audio Workstations
VG-SILK 2 should run on every DAW supporting VST, AU, and AAX. We cannot guarantee that SILK 2 is compatible with the following software:
- Adobe Audition
- Pro Tools First
- Mixcraft 8
- Early Cubase versions (make sure to test the free trial)
Is there a Reason Rack Extension?
We didn't create a VG SILK 2 Rack Extension. Please make sure to use the VST format if you're a user of Reason Studios.
Are there any known issues?
Yes, there are a few:
- C#1 stays highlighted after playing dragged&dropped MIDI phrases
- Installation to an external drive creates a "Library" folder and more sub-folders
- Pro Tools: initial state not as expected/recalled sessions sometimes don’t load saved state
- Pro Tools: playing dragged MIDI phrases does require manual switch to instrument mode